Illinois Science Olympiad - I survived to tell about it

Last weekend, after a send-off worthy of elite dignitaries, my son's Science Olympiad team made its way down to the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana for the state finals.

DH and I followed that night with another team parent along for the ride. I was the first driver, eventually handing over the wheel to DH. While the dads sat in the front seat talking, I nodded off in the back only to wake during a horrible storm with these thoughts, "If I'm going to die, I should be awake to experience it."

Does your mind work like this?

The rain was coming down hard and winds threatened to sweep the minivan off the road. Occasional lightning strikes lit up the otherwise impossibly dark sky.

It was scary, but I lived to tell about it.

The championship event (a series of events, really) was fun overall. Like any competition, the day had its ups and downs. For every handful of delighted squeals from children experiencing the thrill of victory, there was a student fighting back tears feeling the crushing agony of defeat.

In the end, my son received a medal in one of his events and the team met their goal, though did not exceed it, which was sad to some.

My boys' former school, a private school for gifted kids, made quite a good showing at State. No surprise there, their team likely has an average IQ of about 145. But our school has something they don't- my boys!

I jest. But, truly, I'm already looking forward to next year.
You have just read the article entitled Illinois Science Olympiad - I survived to tell about it. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2011/04/illinois-science-olympiad-i-survived-to.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows