That was Kaufmans?!

rugelach!
Yesterday was the big bar mitzvah day! I'll write more about that later, but I want to thank our caterer while our fridge is still packed with leftovers it's still fresh in my mind. I have no doubt that any Jew who's spent time in or around Skokie, Illinois in last 40 or so years has eaten deli food from Kaufman's.

Everyone knows their bagels, we stand in long lines to get ginormous round challah from Kaufman's at the high holy days, and their corned beef, salami, pastrami and chopped liver are legendary. Their trays grace the tables at everything from open houses to shiva houses, but did you know they also offer full-service catering?

I didn't until my mom suggested we check them out when it came time for my son's bar mitzvah.

Bette Dworkin, patiently walked us through everything from food to linens, taking into account our budget, the size of our party and the overall tone of our event. Our final menu included the obligatory bagels and lox, but also an upscale asparagus salad as well as a beet and goat cheese salad that I was worried no one but my husband would eat, but was actually quite a hit. A colorful couscous salad rounded up the trio for our light brunch.

The spread was a huge hit, with many guests asking where we got the food (as well as the catering staff, which apparently stood out from the regular kitchen help). When I told them, the typical response was, "That was Kaufman's?! Who knew?"

Disclosure: I was neither compensated for nor asked to write this post. Although we did get a free 5-pound challah that was bigger than the bar mitzvah boy when he was born, because although I didn't think we needed it, Bette was sure it we should have it. As they say at Disney, it was good show.

Kaufman's is going to be hosting a series of super fun events in June to kick off their Salami Drive for our troops via the USO. Check it out. See you in Skokie in June?

P.S. If you are reading this on the May 8th and live nearby, call me so we can set a time for you to come over and pick up some leftovers!
You have just read the article entitled That was Kaufmans?!. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2011/05/that-was-kaufmans.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows