Chicago Summer Fun with Chicken in the Car and the Car Won't Go

Chicago native Melisa Wells not only knows how to throw a heck of a book launch party, she writes a pretty good book, too. Her latest book, Chicken in the Car and the Car Won't Go: Nearly 200 ways to enjoy Chicagoland with teens and tweens, is chock full of where to go and what to do, with a bit of what to eat tossed in for good measure. My mom saw my copy of the book sitting out and swiped borrowed it from me. I had to sneak it back in order to give it a review.

It sounds like my family follows in the foot steps of Melisa's family or origin in that we often hop in the car or on the train and go to town, literally. But even as a frequent hometown tourist, I learned a few new tidbits from Melisa.

I now know a simple way to make it to Ping Tom park in Chinatown.
I learned that my family and I can get our own room at a hostel in downtown Chicago.
There is a state park in Chicago. (Who knew?)
We can tour the Sprecher Brewery? (Granted, it's just across the border in Wisconsin, as are a few other fun attractions.)

And because of the age group her book serves, I'm reminded of a few outings that weren't a great fit when the boys were younger, such as a trip to the Federal Reserve and Fermilab.

Once my mom clears out her bookmarks from the book, I'm adding a few of my own and using this to guide our summer fun.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book to facilitate a review and summer of fun.
You have just read the article entitled Chicago Summer Fun with Chicken in the Car and the Car Won't Go. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2011/06/chicago-summer-fun-with-chicken-in-car.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows