What Happens to My Social Media Accounts When I'm Gone?

And I mean real, real gone, like no longer alive. It's an odd question to ponder in midst of so much holiday cheer, so let me explain:

The other day I was searching around for a contact at a local company on LinkedIn. Among the results I saw the name of a friend of a friend. I shuddered when I saw her name. This woman was listed as the manager of online marketing with a comfortable tenure of over 3.5 years on the job. Only, she's been deceased for about three of those years.

A scene from poltergeist flashes in my head, "They never moved the bodies!" I feel the need to wash my eyeballs. Instead, I Tweet my creepy find. Then, following advice from a Twitter friend I alert the folks at LinkedIn about the situation.

Another Twitter friend mentions the need for social media moms like us to include some instructions in our wills regarding these various accounts. (You're a parent; please tell me you have a will.) To some that might come off as cheeky, but for me and my ilk, social networking is serious business. Literally. Sure, we use social networking for fun and personal support, but we also use it to connect with clients.

Friends, clients, no matter, the fact is I have several blog accounts, a Facebook account, a Twitter account, a LinkedIn account, a Parentella account, a Big Tent account, not to mention PayPal, as well as various subscriptions and site registrations. Along with these various accounts, I have a range of passwords. NONE OF WHICH ARE WRITTEN DOWN.

You heard me. I'm awesome like that.

The folly of this has occurred to me. Even before this morning, say I slipped and took a tumble, I'd have a passing thought of, "What if I hit my head when I fell and passed out and didn't remember my user names and password combos when I came to?"

Like I said, I'm awesome like that. Anyway, I guess I'm adding another to-do to my list. What about you?
You have just read the article entitled What Happens to My Social Media Accounts When I'm Gone?. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-happens-to-my-social-media.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows