Winter Container Gardens at the Chalet

winter container garden
Resting atop a piece of the old living room carpet.
I never knew there was such a thing as a winter container garden until I was invited to a blogger workshop on the topic at Chalet Nursery and Garden Center in Wilmette. Now I've got a lovely one sitting on my front stoop. And I made it myself!

I participated in a terrarium class at Chalet earlier this year and my plants are still alive, so I figured this was worth trying, too.


winter container garden
the raw materials: about 6 types of evergreens
Guided by the always vibrant Jennifer Brennan, a fount of knowledge and a creative muse with a background in both botany and ornamental horticulture, I snipped several types of evergreens, added a few pine cones and winter berries, placing them just so and created a display that will last through March.



It was fun, if a bit intimidating at first. Working alongside Melisa, Cindy, Michelle and Susan made for a relaxed atmosphere, though. Each of our creations was unique, but they were all fabulous.

We took the took the class at no cost. It normally runs about $55 and includes all supplies. Best of all, the Chalet staff cleans up after you and delivers your arrangement directly to your car.

If you're looking for a unique holiday gift, the Chalet can also help with that. Their offerings go way beyond what you might buy for a friend with a green thumb (though they have plenty in that category) to include housewares, accessories and pet items.
You have just read the article entitled Winter Container Gardens at the Chalet. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2012/11/winter-container-gardens-at-chalet.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows