Evanston Mini-Maker Faire, AKA Why I'm Not at BlogHer

Evanston Maker Faire
As much as I wanted to go to BlogHer in New York City, I couldn't justify the business expense after adding up all the numbers. As I was hemming and hawing and number-crunching on BlogHer, I learned about the Evanston, Illinois Mini-Maker Faire on August 4 and 5.

What? A Maker Faire in my own backyard? I had missed out on the north side Faire earlier this year and thought I was destined to always miss these events.

That really tipped the scale in favor of me staying home. Plus, I was able to take an Arduino class in the time I might have otherwise been partying it up in NYC. Bonus!

I volunteered to spend some time at the MAKE booth at the Faire and then I blinked my eyes and was suddenly in charge of finding other volunteers to staff the booth. At this point, I spend a lot of time explaining the maker movement and the Maker Faire to others, how was I going to convince my clueless peeps to volunteer?

It turned out I found a couple of good people who helped me find a couple of other good people and 8 volunteers later my job is done. Well, it will be after I send everyone a reminder note.

I'm excited to see and touch and learn this weekend. And with the money I'm saving by not going to BlogHer, I'm more than halfway to a MakerBot* purchase.

i want a makerbot
image via MakerBot.com


*Note to my husband, in case he's reading: just kidding on that MakerBot thing. I know that the money will likely go toward paying COBRA. Sigh.


You have just read the article entitled Evanston Mini-Maker Faire, AKA Why I'm Not at BlogHer. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2012/08/evanston-mini-maker-faire-aka-why-i-not.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows