I'm headed to Washington, DC this weekend. Follow along!

I'm headed to Washington, DC this weekend as part of my work with DiscoverE, a 24/7 resource for engineering information, resources and inspiration. I'll be reporting from the national finals of their middle school engineering competition, Future City.

On Sunday the 16th I'll be sharing live updates through social media, highlighting the young participants and showcasing their efforts. In related news, I finally joined Instagram! Follow me there @KimMoldofsky. (And let me know if I should be following you.)

I'll be joined by a few of my old blogging besties on Sunday afternoon as they come by (with their kids!) to share in the fun.
Leticia from Tech Savvy Mama
Amy from Teach Mama
Stacey from Justice Fergie
Thien Kim from I'm Not the Nanny
Jill from Musings from Me
Sandie from Teen Lit Rocks

This year's Future City theme is transportation. How does the city of the future make transportation safe, sustainable, efficient and reliable? I don't know, but I'm certain these kids will have a lot of great ideas.

As someone who likes to be in the know about STEM competitions, I'm eager to get to see Future City up close. One especially intriguing bit is that it only costs $25 per organization to enter. Which is to say that a school can have one, five (or more) teams and they still only pay the one $25 fee. Which is to say: amazeballs. Each team incurs an additional cost in building their Future City model, but they are supposed to use recycled materials and top their budget at $100. Check these out. Teams can get pretty creative with their budgets.

With an eye toward finding solutions to the year's challenge, teams also make virtual models with SimCity software, complete a research paper and create a narrative "sell sheet" on their cities. They also prepare a presentation. That's a whole lotta technical and soft skills wrapped up in one competition. (And in even more STEAM, I'm told some teams make costumes for their presentations.)

Follow along with me this weekend and who knows? Maybe you'll be in line when registration opens in March for the 2014-15 competition year.

You have just read the article entitled I'm headed to Washington, DC this weekend. Follow along!. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2014/02/i-headed-to-washington-dc-this-weekend.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows