Did I Mention I'm Going to BlogHer?

Yes, I'm headed to BlogHer 2013 next Thursday and Friday. Given that it's in Chicago, I couldn't miss out. That said, many of my old skool blog peeps are sitting it out this year, and that bums me out. I received a large response when I posted this on Facebook:

You know that scene at the end of the movie St. Elmo's Fire where the group of friends is walking by the bar they hung out at as undergrads feeling older and wizened and watched a new crop of co-eds get silly and drunk? I feel that's like what BlogHer13‬ will be like.

I'll be perusing the Expo and may be going to a few brand events, but mostly I'm really looking forward to seeing the old friends that are coming into town. And, of course, making a few new ones.

One of my friends said she was glad a blogging veteran like me would be there to keep things classy to which I responded that I plan to be All. Over. the Petsmart booth since we just adopted the world's cutest puppy last week and have already spent at least $100 on toys, treats, food and poop baggies. Also, I've given up on my kids, but I'd love a cute Halloween costume for him.

Yes, I just wrote that.

{Sidenote: my pup and I were invited to an unofficial conference event related to dogs with a Petco tie-in, but my T hasn't had all his shots yet, so we're out. I'm conveniently equidistant from both stores, FYI.}

One brand event I'm super excited for is a trip to the Wilton HQ. We'll tour the Wilton Test Kitchen, Decorating Room and The Wilton School. I love behind-the-scenes tours and have a full set of Wilton decorating tips (circa 1992). I used to decorate cakes and clown cones when I worked at an ice cream shop during high school and. I loved it.

Our day will also include hands-on demonstrations with Wilton experts:
       o   3D Modeling
       o   Buttercream Techniques
       o   New product introduction and decorating contest

Seriously? I'm giddy. But the thing that intrigues me most has a Maker Mom connection--the 3D modeling. When I started a VEX robotics team last fall, I received a student copy of Autodesk Inventor, 3D modeling software. I watched my son play around with it, but never really dabbled myself. I'm wondering if the software might be useful to create a design for a cake or cake topper.

By the same token, I'm wondering if something like creating a cake topper decoration, as opposed to a metal robot, might give some girls more of a reason to play around with Inventor. I've witnessed how girls tend to approach tech differently than boys. For example, dabbling in computer programming to create stories or a way to feature their artwork as opposed to making games, especially shooting games, as my boys are prone to do. I know one needs imagination, not software to create a 3D model, but maybe this could be a hook. I might be on to something.

Ping me if you'll be at BlogHer so we can meet up!


You have just read the article entitled Did I Mention I'm Going to BlogHer?. Please read the article from Colored by Crimson Shadows About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://coloredbycrimsonshadows.blogspot.com/2013/07/did-i-mention-i-going-to-blogher.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Colored by Crimson Shadows